Best of Medical Web Sites
Quick Reference Directory
- Amputee Resources
- Network of Care Facilities
- Related Information
Organizations, publications and other sites serving consumers.
- Amputee Coalition of America
- A Manualfor Below-Knee Amputees
- A Manualfor Above-Knee Amputees
- The Barr Foundation
- CareFlash – keep loved ones connected & updated!
- Limbless Association (UK)
- Limbs For Life
- On The Other Hand - info for parents, relatives, nd friends of children with hand anomalies
- Orthotic and Prosthetic Assistance Fund
- Academy - American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists
- ABC - American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics
- ACA - Amputee Coalition of America
- ACPOC - The Association of Children's Prosthetic-Orthotic Clinics
- Adopt-A-Minefield - Raising awareness and funds to clear landmines and help survivors
- AOPA - American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association
- BAPO - British Association of Prosthetists and Orthotists
- BARR - Barr/United Amputee Assistance Fund
- BOC - Board for Orthotist/Prosthetist Certification
- CAPO - Canadian Association of Prosthetists & Orthotists
- COPA - California Orthotics & Prosthetics Association
- DSUSA - Disabled Sports USA
- FAOP - Florida Association of Orthotists & Prosthetists
- Interbor - International dome association of national O&P trade associations
- Limbless Association - Information for Amputees in the UK
- NAAOP - National Association for the Advancement of Orthotics and Prosthetics
- NCOPE - National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education
- NPOLF - National P&O Licensing Fund
- OPAF - Orthotic and Prosthetic Assistance Fund
- PFA - Pedorthic Footwear Association
- POF - Prosthetics Outreach Foundation
- SMOPAC - Sociedad Mexicana de Ortesistas y Protesistas
- US ISPO - United States Member Society of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics
- The O&P Edge - Cutting edge information for the prosthetics, orthotics and allied health care professions.
- Journal of Prosthetics & Orthotics - 60 complete issues online, fully searchable.
- Journal of the Association of Children's Prosthetic Orthotic Clinics - Fully Searchable JACPOC Archives.
- A Manual for Above-Knee Amputees
- A Manual for Below-Knee Amputees
- OPGA stands for Orthotic and Prosthetic Group of America - a nationwide network of independently owned and operated orthotic and prosthetic companies.
- POINT Health Centers of America - is a group of independent, orthotic and prosthetic businesses covering 19 states which have come together for the common purpose of offering quality patient care in a competitive healthcare environment.
- PrimeCare O&P Network - is specifically designed to meet the needs of America’s Independents. PrimeCare’s chief responsibilities are to negotiate contracts with managed care organizations and to aid in maintaining contracts for our participants.
Practitioner, technician and associate training and residency programs.
University-Based O&P Practitioner Training Programs
- California State University, Dominguez Hills - Baccalaureate and Certificate Program in Orthotics and Prosthetics
- Century College - Certificate Program in Orthotics and Prosthetics
- East Michigan University - Master of Science in Orthotics & Prosthetics (MSOP) and Graduate Certificate Programs
- Georgia Tech - Master of Science in Prosthetics & Orthotics
- Newington Certificate Program in Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Northwestern University's Prosthetic-Orthotic Center
- University of Salford
- University of Strathclyde
- The National Centre for Prosthetics and Orthotics, La Trobe University, Melbourne
- University of Texas Southwestern - Prosthetics And Orthotics Program
- University of Washington Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Prosthetics - Orthotics
Post Graduate Residency Programs
- University of Michigan O&P Center, Orthotics or Prosthetics Residency Program
- Note: The NCOPE website contains a complete list of residency sites updated regularly.
O&P Technician Training Programs
- Century College - Orthotics & Prosthetics Technician Program
- Francis Tuttle Orthotic & Prosthetic Technician Program
- Spokane Falls Community College Orthotics & Prosthetics Technician Program
O&P Associate Training Programs
Residency Site Directors Perceptions and Expectations
O & P residency site managers have undertaken an immense job to provide the bulk of clinical training for O & P graduates preparing to sit for the ABC certifying exam. In an effort to understand the complex needs of residency training from a site manager’s perspective, a survey of all 197 NCOPE accredited residency sites will examine site director’s attitudes towards, and expectations of, incoming residents.
Prosthetic Research Study
The mission of Prosthetics Research Study is to improve care for people who have experienced or are at risk of limb loss. A multi-disciplinary team conducts research on strategies for limb preservation, surgery, wound healing, prosthetics, and amputee rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation Engineering and Prosthetics Orthotics Center
The Prosthetics Research Laboratory and the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Program are dedicated to the improvement of prostheses and orthoses, to the improved fitting and manufacturing processes for prosthesis/orthosis systems, and to the improved basic understanding of human interactions with these systems. The research, applied and technical in nature, is conducted in a medical environment that fosters direct clinical interactions and applications.
The Center for International Rehabilitation (CIR)
CIR is a not-for-profit organization developing technologies and programs to help people with disabilities worldwide reach their full potential. Based in Chicago, the CIR operates in collaboration with the world-renowned Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) and Northwestern University Prosthetic Orthotic Center (NUPOC).
Links to other sites with O&P related information.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- American Medical Association
- National Committee for Quality Assurance
- RAND WWW Site
- Medical Records Institute
- BioMechanics Gateway
- About One Hand Typing and Keyboarding
- Ortoportal (español)